Sunday, July 31, 2005

A most revolting experience

Oh my word! I just had one of the most revolting things happen to me. It's not that bad. . . it certainly can't be compared to Bria's fabulous story, but it was horrid enough for me. I was going to mail a letter to a friend, so I hopped on my bike wearing my swishy Israel skirt and heavy duty black boots and zoomed out of our lower driveway. Almost immediately I noticed a forlorn little newt salamander (a great favorite wild life creature of mine that I used to constantly play with and provoke) in the middle of the road. Struck numb with sympathy, I swerved to a stop and dug my kickstand into the dirt road to go help the poor amphibian in distress. I went over and fearlessly picked it up to deposit it in the safety on the roadside grass. Then I noticed something dreadful. The orange salamander had something protruding out of him--something I was practically touching--and I suddenly came to a conclusion beyond no doubt that I was beholding the newt's guts. With a cry of dismay I set him down hastily and wailed in utmost anguish at how disgusting it was. My reactions were more exaggerated than my literal feelings. There is something peculiarly funny about finding a live salamander who is proudly displaying his innards. With a final yelp of loathing, I leaped back onto my bike and continued up the road, passing at the top of the hill our neighbor, Dave, who had been peering down curiously with his nephew Luke to see what on earth I could be so appalled at as to express myself with such volume. I of course owed him the explanation that I had just picked up an animal with its intestines exploding from its side in their juiciness. Ahem! When I returned a few minutes later, I did manage to secure some pictures of the hapless creature.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

UUUGGHH!! I would have absolutely pos-o-tively screamed my lungs out!!! That is DISGUSTING!!!

but then again, I have to feel sorry for the newt...=P


talk to you later! :)

Anonymous said...

that's pretty gross!