Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Southern Journey

I am alive. I may be in GA, but I am alive. I'm not quite sure what this post is going to contain, but I felt like writing something while I can because we don't have internet access where we're staying.

Sooo, we left a week ago Wednesday. It was chilly, and the snow was on the ground (I forget how much). We scrambled into the gray 15 passenger van, waving and blowing kisses to the many smiling faces who were there to see us rumble off.

"They look so happy to see us go," someone commented, and we were inclined to agree. But we didn't care. We were going South. And they were not. And thus began our journey.

And so we watched to snow melt little by little as we covered the miles, and when our chance came we would leap out of the van expecting it to have suddenly turned balmy outdoors. It never really did.

In a nutshell, we went to PA, where I got to see my favorite 22-year-old basketball and volleyball player. I even got to hang around his college for an hour or two, watching his volleyball practice, reading David Copperfield, watching students waltz by me as they came in or out of the dorm, or listening to some girls mope around waiting for they're guy friends to come out from rearranging the furniture in their dorm room ("Have you ever counted the tiles on the ceiling?" Later, the other one answered, "There are 87 of them." "Did you just count them? You're a loser. You're the biggest loser I ever knew.") A couple people were even watching The Office, which I caught bits and pieces of, but mostly I just heard this one guy chortle like a girl.

In a lull, one of the bored guys watching the above said movie moaned. "There's nothing to do. There's nothing to do . . . . . . . Well, there's homework, but that's not due until . . . . . yet." And thus you can see why I form this opinion: that a lot of time is wasted in college.

So much for the nutshell.

Well, the next day the nine of us (six third-years, my parents, and me) drove on down to D.C. and stopped for awhile in the National Cathedral to do some praying, before heading on down to the Lackies in VA. And here I will just put in that if you haven't been the National Cathedral, you should sometime. I'm sure there are many better cathedrals in the world, but it's still worth going to if only just once in you're life. Also, I love stained glass.

Finally, on Friday we got up early-ish and set out for the aprox. ten-hour drive on down to GA. And while I'm talking about traveling the car, we indulged ourselves in fantastic games such as Old Maid and Phase Ten, which as proved to be a never ending saga since we've played it in at least four sessions and still haven't quite managed to get to the end (Dave just barely reached phase ten today).

And since we've got here (I have to go shortly so that Vanlora can get her computer back to work on her resume), we've done all kinds of great things. I've had the joy of shooting my first 22 pistol, getting creamed in Draw One by my mom, Bria, and Mrs. A, blowing the shofar, hanging out at Claire's, watching Andrew blow bubbles with bubble soap in his mouth, going to Last Chance on its half price sale, playing ultimate football, basketball, plus around the world, and I've even brushed my teeth from the balcony and spat it into the kitchen sink one story below. That all may not have been grammatically correct, but you'll understand that I'm stuffing in lots right now (never know when I'll do this again!). Of course I've also gotten to do lots of school and I'd nearly forgotten what it's like to live with bibleschool students and see them so much you're practically but sick of them (just kidding!!! I love the third year class so much, but you'll understand if we're not buddy buddy every minute). So far a fabulous time. Can't wait to play games at the Turners tomorrow and climb Stone Mountain on Saturday!

p.s. this post has had little to no editing, so forgive any typos.:)

2 comments:

KJ said...

Hurray! What fun! I loved those days of being able to travel with the Bible school before I was an actual student.
Sounds like you're having a great time so far, but just you wait... it'll get even better in one week! Hahaha... it'll be better for me anyway, because then I'll be able to join in your adventures!
I love it that you spat into the sink one story below you - that's so funny! That house is so amazing, but I never thought of that aspect of it :)

drewey fern said...

I love the Nat'l Cathedral! One of my favorite places. Hurrah for your adventures!