Monday, July 26, 2010

Sugar Explosion

I left the world of dragons and gnomes behind. Having just finished my book, Magic Kingdom For Sale, I meandered into the kitchen and peaked into the fridge and freezer. Sitting in the freezer was Craig's Nalgene, partially filled with iced coffee. A light flicked on in my cranium, and I decided that of course I wanted iced coffee as well! (This wasn't just because I wanted to copy my brother; I happen to like iced coffee exceedingly, provided it has enough cream and sugar and isn't liable to keep me awake all night)

I set to it.

Only, in the process I got a little carried away. You see, the last time I made iced coffee was when I made a pitcher for my family. At the time I made the mistake of forgetting to add the sugar while the water was hot so it was difficult to make it dissolve. Well, Kayla rarely makes the same mistake twice . . . so I poured the sugar into my VERY potent four ounces of boiling water. (Imagine drinking two servings of coffee and a lot of sugar black in that condensed mixture. Shudder . . . )

There was a problem.

I soon realized that in my zest for sweetness and pride in my cleverness (I wasn't making the same mistake twice, remember?) I had forgotten one crucial point.

I was no longer making a pitcherful of coffee. I only had enough decaf coffee for two servings, and I had unthinkingly poured in about as much sugar to satisfy an army with sweet tooths. Well, probably not an army, but maybe a family.

Gulp.

There's no way I'm wasting that coffee.

So I'm drinking it anyway, even if my face is inclined to a benign grimace as I do so.

Maybe I'll drink it quick so I can enjoy one of Craig's peach smoothies.

1 comment:

KMS said...

I would drink your concoction AND Craig's.