Saturday, July 02, 2011

You hold my right hand

It's amazing how every once in awhile I'm going along and suddenly I see myself in a very unfavorable mirror. Faults start bristling every which way out of my head and I'm shocked to see how unlovable I really can be. Although this sensation may leave one's emotions feeling fragile, it accomplishes one important thing: driving one back to God. And so, to God I went, and I stumbled upon this passage:

"When my soul was embittered, when I was pricked in heart, I was brutish and ignorant; I was like a beast toward You. Nevertheless, I am continually with You; You hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." ~Psalms 73:21-26

It clicked.

I may be an expert at opening my mouth and putting my foot in it, but God is still holding my hand. I may be irritable and weighted with pride, but that doesn't mean God is running to stay away from me. Grace would not be grace if it were deserved. And I'm reminded by a quote by Max Lucado (I think) in which he says, "God loves you just the way you are, but He refuses to leave you that way. He wants you to be just like Jesus."

He is everything.

And to salt it away, I pulled out my guitar. I'm really just a novice at this instrument since I've only been playing around with it since my daddy gave me one for my birthday in April, but I have fallen in love with it. I've dedicated my guitar to God and have named it "Reese," which means "zealous." As I played, I sang of God's amazing grace, I sang of my soul panting for God, I sang of the Holy Spirit, I sang of a walk with my Shepherd, I sang of the choice to not make God small because He is brighter than the sun and closer than the tiny thoughts I have of Him. And I sang of just one look into His face.

Listening to Truth-filled music is like listening to a refreshing love letter from God. Your heart responds, and you sense a sort of communion. But I believe that playing Truth-filled music is like having a purifying conversation with the only One who can make you pure. This communion is sweet indeed and is near the zenith of what one can experience on earth.

No comments: