Friday, August 05, 2005

Quill on the loose

I was doing my habitual jogging on the ball field in the humid heat of midday when I felt something prick my foot. Curious and concerned, but afraid to lose time, I quickly crouched over my bare foot to discover a porcupine quill dangling delicately from my skin. My only reaction was to grunt, "Uh, another one," then lightly pluck it out (don't worry it hadn't dug deep into my flesh yet) and continue on. I held it as I ran, wanting to keep it as a souvenir but not wanting to hold it until I was done. As I rounded near the back-stop, an idea occurred to me, and I swerved slightly out of my way to drop it onto a white chair along the side lines. I vaguely noticed that it rolled off. Then I finished my rejuvinating rounds, and before long began to search for my prize token, proof of my hazardous situation as it had tried to make it's home in my epidermis. I got on my stomach and groped, fingered, and brushed, trying to comb every inch of grass and bracken, but to no avail. So now I think it only fair to warn everyone that there is a porcupine quill free to do its evil will on the ball field, and I just hope it won't terrorize it's next victim.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

Thanks, Kayla, I'll watch out for that when I'm on the ballfield again. ;-)

Kate said...

So sorry Kayla! But glad it came out easily. Didn't Craig get one in his hand a long time ago? There must be some sadistic porcupine who wanders around shedding quills on the ballfield for our benefit.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the warning Kayla! lol! Did you know that at the family convention one night Cara and I were walking to the Lodge through the ball field and on the way back we saw a skunk a couple of feet ahead of us? We just quickly walked away!

CKS said...

Yes, I got a quill in my hand while playing soccer. I fell down on some play--I don't even remember what happened. I never felt it go in. I just happened to feel something in my hand while running hither and thither, and looked down and saw it. Who knows how long it had been there! Sadly, I couldn't just pull it out, since the barbs were already well set into the flesh. Mr. Hansen had to yank on it with pliers and stuff.

So beware on the ball field!