Saturday, April 01, 2006

A Little Rambling

Three years ago from this very day, we arrived in Israel. What an exciting time that was! What would await us? How many places would we explore? We felt very much like pioneers, in a fashion, from arriving at the empty house and discovering its crannies, to learning, often from experience, how to find your way around the city. Have you ever wondered what Israel might have seemed like from the eyes of an eleven-year-old? Probably different than I would even view it now. Therefore I am considering posting some journal entries that I made those three years ago. However, at the moment I'm not at home, so I don't have my journal to do this, but just you wait!

As for the past couple weeks, my life can basically be summed up with this: the Feast came, I got sick, we left to explore Maine lighthouses for a day or two, we returned, had a Sabbath, went to a memorial service, and left for Virginia. Hence is where I am now, loving every bit of my vacation, though I've still had to do some school.

Also about a week and half ago my new camera arrived! Ordered on Ebay, it's a Nikon N75 (like Clyde's, for those of you who know) and seems to work like an angel. It added a whole new delightful dimension to the lighthouses, as I would wander about taking snap after snap of the gorgeous things and probably way too many. But as Craig always says, you can never take too many pictures. That's not a bad philosophy, but I don't wholly agree, as I don't always want to pay for a lot of pictures that I don't like. Therefore I almost live in a fear of taking too many or too few pics. *sigh* However, it's still lots of fun, and I am especially liking my polarizer, as it makes skies seem so much bluer. Then, when we went to DC this past week, I again got to try my hand at attempting nice pictures. Admiring the picturesque cherry blossoms and probably taking one too many pictures of the Washington Monument, we appreciated the balmy weather and clear sky. We also sat in traffic for way too long, but that is beside the point.

Also, last night we attended my first cousin's once removed play. It was a dinner theater, and quite an amusing one at that, though very silly. Consisting of ghost stories and nightmares, the adventures kept us on our toes. With man hungry mashed potatoes, a ruthless cereal killer, finding out that you're dead, being kissed by a vampire, or watching a crazy teacher demonstrate the guillotine by chopping off a student's head. Man, that was an unusual evening!

3 comments:

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

I've come to think of photography as something we really do for ourselves and sometimes can be shared with others---in other words take as many pictures as you want and in as many different ways as you want and don't fret the the one you missed or the "wasted" frames. Just enjoy doing it and think of all the learning you are doing in the process. I've heard a number of proffessional photographers say they get perhaps one keeper out of 1000 shots---so have fun shootin' and learnin'... 8~)

CKS said...

I've been reliving those first Israel days, too. What excitement! Like discovering a world for the first time...food, places, people.

lis said...

Nice to have you back!

I'd love to "hear" some from your journal... In some ways, it's hard for me to remember what it was like to be a first-timer, and I feel a little jealous of people who still are. But only a little! :O)