Thursday, March 30, 2006

Eggy Tales

I feel like I have been having some new experiences with eggs lately. Nothing startlingly new, but it is funny how they seem to be creeping into little recent occurences. For instance, on the first day of spring a friend in orchestra told me that they had been practicing balancing eggs that day in science class because supposedly it was the only day in the year they could do it! Fascinating, is it not? However, since she didn't elaborate and I don't really know what she meant, I am also reminded that this is the same girl that claims fiercely that she has sneezed with her eyes open. It doesn't matter how many people tell her that it can't be done, but she persists in saying that she did (now maybe she really did blow her brains out in the process however and that could be why she doesn't have brains to admit that it could be impossible!). So anyway, that puts her information in perspective as to its truthfulness. But as I have no other reason to doubt her, I still am curious. Does anyone know about balancing eggs?

Occurence number two. That very same evening (during the Feast as some may know) Katherine and Jane were uh what-do-you-call-it to eggs--cracking them I guess. They had to do seventy--quite a whopping number--so of course it was very interesting to watch. The sea of yellow yokes bobbed becomingly like graceful blobs, or threatenly like exotic jelly fish, or pathetically like doomed embryos (man, it's amazing how many comparisons one can draw with egg yokes). Anyway, they bobbed. You get the picture. Okay that was really random, Kayla, you may be saying, but never fear. That isn't the only part of my story.

I also learned, as we watched the girls crack those many eggs (egg cracking is so much fun by the way, don't you agree?) that when squeezed a certain way, it is impossible to break the shell of the egg. Most likely you intelligent or even the common knowledged ones out there knew this, but as of then I didn't. This amazed me. It even took a little courage to actually try it, squeezing the egg as hard as I could, but over the bowl to be on the safe side. It didn't even give. And just to prove that it wasn't just me being wimpy at egg-squeezing, others tried it in a similar fashion and couldn't accomplish the task. It was then that Dennis came along and though he said that he had heard that, he didn't quite believe it. We persuaded him to try it, but he, rather than being safe, decided to be hazardous as he experimented and held it over the arm of Cara's new coat. Then, all of a sudden, the shell collapsed and the contents within shot straight up like Old Faithful itself, dousing the cupboard and ceiling in its slimy touch. Bits of spray went everywhere, but luckily Cara's jacket seemed to be safe and only Katherine's burgundy sweater was slightly offended.

What happened? You may say, but that remains a mystery. Dennis may believe that he proved the theory wrong, but many more hold that there was a crack in the egg, while still others think that his hands were so big they encompassed the more vulnerable ends of the egg. Who knows?

Well, other than that I'm afraid my recent egg stories are limited. Though it is true that just this morning an egg rolled off the counter and my mom recalled that happening last time we were here (we're in VA at my Uncle Bob and Aunt Joy's), and of course the other morning Craig and I (both phlegmatic as you may know) did have a seemingly stressful time as to whether I would eat a second egg or would he eat it if I didn't. But that's hardly worth mentioning.

2 comments:

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Chuckle! I'll take three easy over... 8~D

CKS said...

One of my friends from school said her mom tried to balance at egg at the spring equinox and it didn't work. Maybe it was an early April Fool's joke?