Sunday, March 12, 2006

My desperate stand against evil

Now I probably really got you scared by my title, but really this is nothing but a little writing project I did. I'm studying point of view in my writing course, and I got to pick a favorite scene from a movie or a book to write in first person. Hence, this is "my" stand against evil. I think you may recognize it. This is by no means perfect, as not another eye but my own has read it, but I thought I would still post it here for the fun of it. You need to keep in mind that although all the feelings and emotions that occur may seem like they are drawn out, they really do fly by in only a matter of seconds; this is just more clearly describing how "I" felt as this was happening. Also I need to warn you that my words that included an accented "e" or "u" didn't turn out right on blogger, so you won't see them as you should.


So sit back and pretend to enjoy!

“Begone, foul drimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!” My voice sounded more confident than I felt as I sized up the Nazgõl lord. A cold shudder ran through me as I felt his dark, gleaming gaze upon me. Tears stung my eyes as I lifted my shield to hide myself from that piercing stare of hatred.

“Come not between the Nazgõl and his prey!” The very sound of the bone chilling voice sent pangs of icy fear coursing through my whole body. “Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where they flesh shall be devoured, and thy shriveled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.”

Through all my foreboding, indignation still ruptured my feelings. What right did he have to threaten me so? Every right, a small steely voice gnawed at my consciousness. My anger melted into a feeling of doom, then grim determination. At least this thing was not going to prevail over my king and uncle without feeling my resistance first.

Gripping my sword hilt suddenly I drew it forth, the blade singing as I did so. “Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."

“Hinder me? Thou foul,” the Nazgõl lord spat in mockery and disgust. “No living man may hinder me!”

That’s an easy one, I thought, as the perfect irony of the situation swept over me. It was so real I found myself laughing, not from joy, but from the mad wryness of it all. The fact that I was laughing, however mirthlessly, while on the threshold of having my life wrenched away from me gave me a strange kind of boldness.

“But no living man am I!” I cried, as I took hold of my helm and yanked it off my head. My hair went tumbling down over my shoulders. “You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund’s daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you if you touch him!”

A bloodcurdling scream issued from the great mouth of the lord’s foul steed, but the Nazgõl lord himself was deathly silent. I shivered, trying not to lose my nerve, for this quiet could hardly mean anything good for me. Standing firm however, I waited, poised for my enemy’s next move.

The seconds dragged by.

All of a sudden, the monstrous beast flapped its hideous wings, and the air they churned stank from unwholesomeness. Then all too quickly it leapt up into the air and fell upon me like a shrieking boulder, but this boulder was armed with sharp beak and claw, and intent upon its kill.

With an agility that surprised even me, I dodged it, swerved about, and with both arms raised I hacked at its neck with all my strength, cleaving it in two. Swiftly I sprang back as the creature crumbled and then fell heavily to the ground.

A feeling of relief spread over me, and I felt the sun shining warmly on my head. But it wasn’t over.

From amidst the wreckage the Nazgõl lord rose, seething in quiet rage. Even as he reached his full towering height, he turned towards me. Cold sweat beaded my brow, and I licked my dry lips. What had I gotten myself into?

With a venomous cry he swung his mace and struck my shield such a fierce blow that it was shattered to bits, while my arm, searing with pain, hung limp at my side. Panic seizing me, I stumbled to my knees under the impact. So this was how my life was to end. I was immersed in the lord’s dark shadow and I trembled under its freezing touch. Despair wrought my numb mind, and I didn’t even dare look up into the face of my executor.

Then, surprisingly, the Nazgõl lord cried out, but now there was pain in his voice. He, too, stumbled to his knees and his stroke swung wide, missing me by many handbreadths.

I was snatched from my nightmare in shock as a nearby voice called, “Eowyn! Eowyn!” It was Merry, and as I made this joyous discovery I had no time to think.

Grasping my sword with my one good arm, I stood, tottering forward. Then, using the last of my strength torn from my core I plunged the blade between the crown and mantle. Immediately my weapon was shattered into many shards. The crown rolled off despondently, and I pitched forward to land upon my foe. But no, the black hauberk was empty, and the only thing solid my body met was the ground itself beneath it. Even as an empty scream drifted away upon the wind, I sighed in exultation. Then darkness set in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great job! Keep it up!

CKS said...

Pretty good stuff! Nice job! And interesting to think about the scene from another point of view.

lis said...

It brings back memories of a certain high school play...and it WAS pretty fun to kill that old Wes...er, Nazgul with my real steel sword.

And I like how she began to laugh in faith, 'cause that's what I've been thinking about lately.

Good work, Kay. :O)