Sunday, May 07, 2006

My Second Identity

For those of you who don't know, I have a Second Identity. Or some people seem to think so. . . with little incidents dropping here and there where someone thinks that I'm someone else. But that happens to all of us sometime or another, does it not? However, this seems to have happened to me a little more than the norm, and for one particular person, so I thought I would share it with you.

Now you are probably dying to know who it is that I have often been mistaken for (or often enough for it to be worth mentioning). Well, I'm not going to tell you just yet! (Haha! Die! Die! Die with suspense!!! *evil laughter*)

The first incident I shall mention was a bit unusual. I was walking along at night past the Men's Dorm a year or more ago, minding my own business. As I passed by Dave, who was standing there by the side of the road, he gave me this sinister expression (or it may be interpreted as being sinister, but I could only hear him and not really see his face). "Where are you going?" he asked, and his mysterious tone of voice puzzled me exceedingly. So I did nothing but keep on and give him a very odd look as he then he burst out, "Oh! I thought you were Kimberly!" Thus my Second Identity is revealed.

Another time occurred during a Feast. I was coming out from the sanctuary to see Ruth and Paula's sister Mary (you notice I am refraining from using a last name!) holding a baby (I forget whose, but it might be safe to guess that it was Ruth's) and talking to Kimberly as they admired him. As I passed by, I caught Mary's eye and she stopped in mid sentence and said, "--oh hi Kimberly!" then continued her conversation naturally with the authentic KJ. I was captured by surprise, but rather than interrupt her, Kim and I gave each other knowing grins before I continued on. Hmm. That was interesting.

Now, for the next story I must give you a little background. It just so happens that in March I bought a khaki jacket (on sale by the way), that, oddly enough is fairly similar to one of Kimberly's. Also, in the past couple of months I have discovered that I can use hairsticks in my hair, which actually is something that Kim does as well. So perhaps it shouldn't come as a great surprise when at different times two people told me that from a distance they thought I was Kimberly, both happening within the same week. Hence the background for my most recent story.

The fateful time was when I was sitting alone in Shawn's meeting during the Feast just yesterday. I was reading along in the Scripture passage when who should start coming shyly down my row to join me but Gabriel! Now I do play with the little boys here at Fairwood occasionally (mostly in the summer), but although they know me and I am on pretty good terms with Michael and Gabriel, they have never seemed to like me enough to actually come sit with me. So you can imagine that I was a bit taken aback as Gabriel, eyes turned toward the floor, stood in front of me to pick him up. I did it willingly enough, and then Gabriel turned to peer at me. If I had known what was going on in his little head I would have been astonished at how calm his gaze was. But without considering it or even realizing that that look was the first he'd given me just now, I picked up my Bible and continued to read. About ten seconds later he got up as if by whim and with simple composure walked to the front Murray row to sit with his beloved Kimberly. I wondered vaguely if I hadn't been entertaining enough, i. e. making faces or producing a gadget for him to play with, but shrugged it off. It wasn't until after the meeting that Craig pointed out the next to obvious: he thought I was Kim! Gretchen informed me that in the bawl room he had asked to sit with that particular aunt of his, and having her permission she watched as he went down and sat with me! Gretchen exclaimed that she and Amy were practically screaming with delight and she thanked me heartily for wearing my hair up that day so they could have some extra amusement. Anything I can do to help, but I can only imagine how Gabriel must have felt when he realized with a shock that I wasn't who he thought I was. Think of how unnerving that would be!

So now ends the narrative about my Second Identity. I actually am fairly sure that there are a couple more of them, but sadly enough I didn't know how entertaining they would become so I forgot them. Until next time then. . . .

8 comments:

Aaron said...

Haha! Great stories, Kim. Oh, wait, I mean....

Mrs. RF said...

Chuckle- poor Gabriel. Thanks for some more insights into your world Kim...er Kayla.

Cara said...

Hahaha. I find it odd that people think you look like Kim. Slender, and similar clothes is about all I can see...oh, but wait. Now I can picture it. Hair up, sticks in the bun, beige coat, long skirt, similar shape face maybe?, hmmm. Your hair's a much different color...I think I'll be thinking about this for a while. I loved the story about Mary saying hi to you and thinking you were Kim. HA!

Nice post, I enjoyed it muchly.

CKS said...

Haha...I noticed the KJ resemblance recently, too. Which is why it was such an easy explanation to think that's why Gabriel sat with you.

Kayla said...

Yeah, except for a couple little things, it really does beat me how people should think I look at all like Kim. Though I'll definitely take it as a compliment!

wideyed said...

I died laughing

but I came back to tell you how funny your story was...

KMS said...

I'm glad that wideeyed didn't stay dead. Neither you nor Kimberly look like murderers.

lis said...

hee hee hee!