Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Happy things from Driver's Ed.

Happy things from driver's ed:

~When asked the question as to the Blood Alcohol Concentration you're legally intoxicated at, a classmate guessed 50%. Um, thankfully the law doesn't let people drive with a BAC of 49%, because most likely they'd be dead by then. The legal limit for those over 21, by the way, is 0.08%.

~Hearing about the motorcyclist who got run over by a turkey.

~A class mate is freaked out about changing from glasses to contacts because he's convinced that somehow he'll get them stuck around and up in his eyes and won't be able to get them out. "Just give yourself a good whack on the back of the head," my teacher tells him. "Yep, works every time for me," I chime in.

~Laughing at the AAA movies when the people talking keep popping out from behind signs.

~Asking a dumb question in a rhetorical fashion to make a joke in the car and the guy sitting next to me answering it. "Um, thanks. . . that was a rhetorical question." "Oh."

~Being honked at when the light had just turned green and Victor (my teacher) comforting me by saying that the Q-tip (his disrespectful term for the elderly) in the car behind us was doing nothing but staring at the light (which is a sign of a new driver).

~Exploring a new lake on a beautiful day and driving on top of a dam that neither me nor my teacher had been to.

~Classmate: "I have never finished a book. I got from A-Z and that was enough for me. . . I can't stand to sit in a chair." (don't ask me how he drives) Instead he'd rather stand in the middle of the room watching the Antique Road Show!

~Successfully parallel parking.

~Learning from Victor of vast knowledge that NH has more motorcycles than any state in the Union and Rte. 137 is one of their favorite roads.

~Being told that I should try the type of car racing in Europe that's done on curvy country roads; supposedly I may be able to handle it.

~Learning that Victor has been to Norway (who goes to Norway but cool people anyway? Not that anyone reading this isn't already cool, but only cool people travel to a place like that:)

~When our teacher said that NH is the only state in the Union to not have a law enforcing seat belt wearing, a classmate ("Earl") piped up with appropriate joyful defiance, "Live free or die."

~So why do some people not want a seat belt law in NH? "They're uncomfortable," an often distracted classmate answers. Victor replies, "So you'd rather be comfortable and dead instead of uncomfortable and alive?"

~"Why get angry?" Victor says in the car. "You probably lose six months of your life every time you get mad." Classmate: "My mom is going to die real soon."

~"And we saw this woman police officer arresting this man and taking him to her vehicle. What I was concerned about was how he was supposed to wear his seat belt with his hands behind his back," my teacher says in class. "Well you see they have these little cubby holes for your hands. . . " a classmate informs him. Awed, Victor asked him how he knew that, but he smiled and wouldn't say! Hmm. . .

~Hearing classmate's road rage stories--both serious and amusing

~The unforgettable quote: "I don't try to keep a nursing home schedule." :) (see earlier post)

~Lots of laughs and new things learned in general.

No comments: