Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Mixing Metaphors

Okay, here I am.

here I am

here I am

here I am.


I don't suppose anyone out there still perseveres in checking my blog anymore, but I'll still talk and at least enjoy hearing my echoes in a room all to myself.

to myself

to myself

I might say some serious stuff in a meaningless way, but it's okay to laugh--you and I will probably forget about it soon afterward. After all, sometimes it seems like I can never retain anything! It just goes in one head and out the other!

I've actually had very good reasons for not writing. Well, sort of. I've done plenty of interesting things, but none that sound interesting when you write about them. Could it be that I've been kind of busy?

You hit the nail right between the eyes!

Ever since the Feast ended I've felt as thought my life has pretty much been a whirl of school catch-up, tests, and practicing my violin--punctuated by second-hand clothes scavenging, bibleschool sports, driving, having weekend visits from my brothers, apple sauce day, sleeping at Fairwood for a weekend, the harvest party, youth group, listening to or watching Red Sox games, and going to PA for a long weekend. See what I mean by interesting, yet not interesting enough? And full, very full. I pretty much have had my ear to the grindstone for over a month, hopping from one hurdle of stress to the next.

For one thing, I decided to bite the bull by the horns and sign up to audition for the all-state orchestra. I sure opened up Pandora's box of worms! And if you're a bit puzzled at how I'm writing, from now on you'd better watch me with a fine tooth comb. It's only going to get worse. So anyway, as we all know, Rome wasn't burned in a day. Therefore I've grabbed the bull by the tail and faced the problem squarely. Practice, practice, practice. For an hour. Or two. Or three. Well, to be honest, some days there just isn't enough time (Fridays seem especially crowded), and going on trips doesn't necessarily help the issue either. But whenever I'm not practicing I'm wondering if I should be, and then when I think about auditioning I feel like I have a frog in my stomach. That really gets under my goat. It seems a lot more stressful now than it did just a few weeks ago, mostly because my time is running thin (auditions are a little over a week away) and I haven't felt prepared. I'm right down to brass knuckles now, since I'm skating on borrowed time. However, the grass is always greener on the other side of the rainbow, and pretty soon it'll be over. Thankfully in just the last day or so God has really given me a remarkable amount of peace about the whole issue. And since God is so willing to help me out, I remember that you shouldn't bite the hand that lays the golden egg. God is fully capable of helping me, and all I need to do is to "cease striving" to do it on my own, remember that He is God, and give Him the glory for whatever He does through me. Hey, it's no skin off my teeth to trust Him! And after all, there's no need to fret over something that's still a week away. I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

3 comments:

KJ said...

That was FABulous! Thanks so much for making me laugh! What fun... we like to mix our metaphors in the Murray house too :)
And good luck with the auditioning! It'll be a great experience and I hope you make it! Have fun!

KMS said...

Oh, wow. I laughed out loud at that. I may just read it to my EQUIP students tomorrow before their final exam. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Praying for the best audition ever!