Tuesday, January 01, 2013

GRACE

The picture at the top of my blog is one that is very meaningful to me. A Hand is reaching down, gripping another hand. My hand. And I am gripping back. In my first year of Bible school, I learned for myself the importance of holding onto that Hand. I learned the importance of loving Him for who He was, not what He offered. I learned to love Him.

In my second year of Bible school, I learned to search. I learned to be hungry. I learned to find God, and to give Him everything. (At least, I learned the first stage of that lesson; I seem to be re-learning it repeatedly.)

In my third year of Bible school, I learned that there comes a point when I can't continue holding on. I learned that I am weak. But I also learned that the Hand that is holding me is strong. The Blood coursing through this Hand is powerful enough to redeem me. The bones in this Hand are filled with the marrow of Grace. And the muscles in this Hand are bulging with Love unconditional. The fiercely strong kind that won't give in or let go.

I say I learned that in my third year of Bible school. The bud that sprouted in that year is starting to bloom more brilliantly now, nearly a year later.

If you read my post, "Still Holding On," you will read of my appreciation for that Hand that reached down through Jesus Christ and still grips tightly, even as limp fingers drip with the Blood of the one I have crucified. The Blood of Him whose heart I have broken. Ironically, the Blood that I have shed is the same Blood that cleanses my guilt. And the Hand, scarred more honorably than mine, is emanating radiance into my darkness.

Love that will not let go.

GRACE that is God Reaching Across Chasms Endlessly.

And is still holding on. To me. To you. And to the people on our hearts.

And so, with this image indelibly etched on my brain, I have used my free time this Christmas break to paint it. Michelangelo once painted the hands of Adam and God after the Fall, groping, but unable to touch. Because of Jesus Christ, thankfully, there is a part two to this image, although this one is painted by someone far less adept than Michelangelo.

I eliminated some of the light glare on the canvas, so I hope my picture doesn't make it look better than it is, but this is it:

 
I hope that maybe you can get as much benefit meditating on the significance of this image as I have.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The picture itself is worth a thousand words. How did you embed it at the top of your blog? I know I have one on mine, but I don't remember how it got there. I think cousin A helped me with it.