Saturday, September 23, 2006

Fact or Fiction?

I have discovered one of the most common questions ever asked by someone
who should decide to visit Australia. "So, did you ever see a kangaroo?"
No, I'm afraid I did not! I saw several in the zoo and sanctuary, plus
many crossing signs for them, but I never saw one in the wild, in person.
I may have mentioned that I did see an echidna, however, and in case you
don't know what it is, it looks like a hedgehog with a snout. So. . . .
I'm just saying this so you don't need to be bothered by embarrassing
yourself to be like the billionth person (well maybe the third or fourth)
to ask me the ridiculously common question "have you ever seen a
kangaroo?" because I did not!

Now, I would like to share for your own interest or amusement, some
slightly unusual facts about Australia that perhaps you did or did not
know! So here goes:

1. Taxes in Australia are always included in the price. Very convenient I
assure you!

2. The yogurt in Australia is alcoholic--I wondered why it tasted so
good!;)

3. In the country I am speaking of (and I'm already tired of saying "in
Australia" so just assume it) they set their table places upside-down!
Meaning that the knife is pointed blade downward along with the fork,
etc. I think they said it had something to do with Australian's feeling
their uniqueness of being the only country completely Down Under, so they
wanted to have a certain ironic characteristic about them. Don't worry,
this practice is generally only used just occasionally in the home, not
in formal restaurants!

4. Most public schools require their students to wear a uniform--imagine
if we tried to do that! I think some rebellious students would start
protesting about their "rights". . .

5. Victoria (the state where I stayed) is the only state to drive on the
left side of the road because of their dislike of Sydney.

6. If you had a bloody nose, you wouldn't say so exactly, but you would
say, "I have a blood nose." That's because like in England, "bloody" is a
swear word.

7. The correct way to pronounce "aluminum" is not "a-LOO-mi-num," but
"a-loo-MEN-yum."

8. You know how Victoria drives on the left side of the road? Well, when
they have turnarounds, they go clockwise instead of counterclockwise. As
a result of this, Australians decided to change some of their volleyball
rules so that they rotate the other way! They just prove their sense of
uniqueness.

9. Some Australians may eat beetroot or tomato sauce on their hamburger
and have brown "vegemite" on their toast (but NEVER on their biscuits).

10. If you were to order a pizza, and you wanted half to be pepperoni and
the other half to be just cheese, they would put the pepperoni on the
opposite side from that which we here in America would put it on! Talk
about different.

11. Many scented candles that you buy can serve as a flavored cigarette
as well. That doesn't seem to be the greatest encouragement for your
lunges!

12. They never call the restroom a bathroom, washroom, or a toilet--but
"the relief room." It took some getting used to--it was a few days before
I finally asked Amanda what those signs were for.:D

13. About seven years ago a movie was made in two weeks with a very low
budget--it was eighties style and a sattire on redneck Australians; this
movie is still one of the most popular movies in Australia, and I believe
has made more money than they spent. It's called "The Castle."

Righto, I'm sure there are more I could say when they come to me, but
this is the list for now. Hope you enjoyed them; and by the way, you get
to tell me which of these were fact and which of these were fiction! Good
luck.

p.s. Amanda don't give them away just yet! :D

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha! Ok I won't give away the answers just yet...all I can say is that some of those facts made me realise you are quite perceptive and have an excellent memory - and others, that your imagination is wildly funny!

-moonshine

CKS said...

I don't want to guess because it'll be too embarrassing if I turn out to be GULLIBLE in public! Maybe that's how your other readers feel, too...

But I can sing a song inspired by the previous comment:

"You are my moonshine (hic!)
My only moonshine...
You make me (hic!) happy (hic!)
When skies are (hic!) blue..."

Kayla said...

Yes, when Amanda started calling me Sunshine and I started calling her Moonshine, we did have to inform her as to what that meant. . . hic!

All right, all right. I'll give a wee hint--six of these are fiction! The rest are as far as I know as honest as the nose on your face.

Aaron said...

I forgot about the "fact or fiction" thingy, and although I was surprised for a bunch of them, I believed them...until number 10! That makes no sense. "Would you like your pepperoni on the left side or the right side of the pizza?" :) My guesses for the six fictional "facts" are 2, 3, 5, 8, 10, and 11. Some of them I'm really not sure about, but I'll wait to see what you say before I bemoan my incorrectness too much. :)

ljm said...

I remember a Wiggles song with the word "aluminum" in it and I just loved that pronunciation. Were you guys over there when Steve Irwin died? I can't remember the date?
Glad you had a good trip.

Smiles said...

My guess is 2, 3, 5, 6, 10, and 11. They are probably wrong. I will wait anxiously until you give us the answers.

Aaron said...

Hey, Asaphat, isn't it supposed to be "When skies are gray? Or is that just with the sunshine version?

K, I'm guessing that #12 is wrong. Am I right?

Kayla said...

Okay, sorry I took so long. Here are the answers:
3, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12.