Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Baffling, colorful, and beautiful

I peeked out the window. A bright rainbow was sauntering up our driveway, pausing to throw pebbles at the ground. Little neighbor Jeff was coming to our door.

I ran downstairs and let him in.

"Hi Jeff! How's it going?"

"Good." He stepped inside and just looked at me.

"What's up?"

"Where's your mom?" He asked, fingering a folded paper in his hand. I assumed he had some card or message from his mom to mine.

"She's not here. She's in town at the PRC."

"Oh. Where's your dad?"

"He's not here either. I'm not sure where he is."

"Where's Craig?"

"He's out too. But if you want to leave something for any of them you can put it on the table and I'll make sure they get it."

"Oh. This is for you," and he handed me the paper. I was surprised. Surely this was a missive or picture intended for some other beloved member of my family. I could recall no instance of ever winning this lad's affection.

"You mean for me to give to someone, or for me?" I queried.

"For you," he emphasized, pointing. I was touched, though still perplexed.

Thanking him, I supplied him with candy and he went on his merry way. The picture looks like some mysterious conglomeration of clocks, sundials, compasses, gas gauges, and on-off switches. I'm baffled by it but I find it quite charming. Even though I'm still skeptical that he had originally intended it for me.

But I guess that's kind of like God's plan for each of us. It's baffling, colorful, and beautiful. We just need to accept it whole-heartedly like it was actually made for us. Because it was.

No comments: