Saturday, August 25, 2012

Better Than a Boston Creme Donut

I bit into the Boston creme donut. The luscious, cool vanilla creme rolled off my tongue while the chocolate glaze sang to the roof of my mouth.

I know that sounds weird.

Still, I couldn't help but wonder what genius invented such a great combination of flavors. And then I wondered about the Genius who invented the ability to taste anything at all.

I mean, think about it. Was the ability to taste really necessary? Sight, yes. Hearing, probably. But taste? Come on! Someone could have thought, "I am going to invent a masterpiece creation that will be able to see, hear, and respond to stimulus. Of course it will need to sustain itself somehow, so I will come up with food that it can eat. Naturally it will know that this food is essential for its well-being so if it has any brains at all it will eat in order to survive. It will eat like the robot that it is; it has no need to enjoy what's keeping it alive. If it's smart it will enjoy the food it's eating just because it's keeping it alive."

As ridiculous as this may sound, it's perfectly logical.

Why do we need to taste anything anyway?

I guess because God is more than just a hard, logical God.

"God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy." (1 Timothy 6:17, italics mine)

God isn't trying to rob us of pleasure. He's the one who created it. And if we can find pleasure using the unique sense of taste, perhaps we can understand more about finding pleasure in Him.

"Oh taste and see that Jehovah is good." (Psalm 34:8)

When I taste something delectable that makes my taste buds sing, I am often able to worship their Creator more effectively. Just think how good He must taste!

I bet God tastes even better than a Boston creme donut. Or even a Krispy Kreme.

No comments: