Saturday, September 08, 2012

Perspective



I've always wanted to go to Niagara Falls. Technically, I've already been there (more than once even), but I probably wasn't more than ten years old and I barely remembered my brief encounter with the falls. My mom was trying to think of one more vacation option before the Bible school year starts and in a stroke of genius she hit upon the idea of revisiting this world famous landmark. And not just a "hi and bye" meeting. This time we'd visit it for real, taking almost every tour we could.
 
So one week we weren't planning on going. The next week we were. We hopped in the car and were off, stopping at antique shops and thrift stores as it struck our fancy. I did a lot of the driving, at least until we were a hundred miles from Buffalo. The rest of the time I spent lying down in the back seat being swallowed by The Hunger Games.
 
I was enthralled when we first stopped to see Niagara at night.
 
The stark beauty of the number six rapids made you think a lot when you read about the stunt people who had drowned in them.
We strolled along the peaceful walkway by the rapids below the Falls.
I was mesmerized by the huge waves. The camera's attempts to capture them are pitiful.


One can't quite compare the excitement you feel when you see a rainbow like this. Or get to feel the blast of mist and hear the roar of the falls when you ride a boat right up near its base. (Too wet to get a good picture, hence I'm showing none)

 
 


I felt like I would never grow tired of gazing at the water booming over the edge. To some, it looks like a lot of water. I see the raw majesty and breathtaking power of a Creator. It makes me want to cry when I think that so many others choose not to see it too. Not only is it awe-inspiring, it seems to make problems shrink in comparison. Who can worry about nuclear threats, presidential elections, petty emotions, or questions of the future when you know that a huger power is in control of it all?

 
It helps put things into perspective.



No comments: