Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Suction Telephone

Have I mentioned that I hate making phone calls?

Because I do.

I'm convinced that there is a built-in suction device in the ear of every telephone. Its purpose? To suck out every word from my brain that I had been planning on saying. With no flesh and blood person nodding or huffing sympathetically before me, I'm sure this thing with a human voice on the other end will slay me with a single thought regarding my stupidity. And I have no defense but to memorize my entire speech before making the phone call so that the words aren't noiselessly siphoned into the phone box and the person listening is left with my stammering silence.

If I get a voicemail, my speech is ruined and I generally have to hang up and try again with a new speech prepared for the unexpected scenario.

True story.

This, at least, is how I've behaved most of my life. But I am wrong to think this way. You see, God hasn't given me a spirit of timidity. He's given me a Spirit of love, power, and self-control. And I've learned that as the ringer beeps ominously in my ear, I can breathe a prayer to this Holy Spirit to give me words to say.

He usually says things better anyway.

No comments: