Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Purity is Power

"Purity is power."

That's what my Bible school teacher said.

I lapped the words up in my first year of Bible school and took them to heart. My name happens to mean "pure one," so the concept of purity is special to me. A long time ago, I once told an acquaintance what my name meant, and she snorted with laughter. I didn't understand. She sobered up and told me that it was fitting because I probably was quite pure, but I still didn't appreciate her response. Purity is not a joke. But why is it powerful?

I read about David and Bathsheba in my Bible reading today.

Flipping through my Bible school class notes on the Life of David, I found my notes on David and Bathsheba. The following words came charging off the page:

"My sharp sword
carves the casques of men
My tough lance thrusteth sure,
My strength is as the strength of Ten . . .
Because my heart is pure."

As I stared at these classic words by Tennyson, I started to realize for the first time why something so fragile could be so mighty.

Why is purity powerful?

It's powerful because if we're pure, the Enemy has nothing he can use against us.

It's powerful because it's beautiful and the Enemy fears it.

It's powerful because it shows that we know how to use the Blood of Jesus, and that weapon, along with our testimony of its application, is enough to wipe out the Enemy (Rev. 12:11).

When we are "pure as He is pure" (1 John 3:3), our strength is as the strength of ten. Our tough Lance thrusteth sure, hitting the mark every time. And our sharp Sword splits open the helmet of the Enemy. We can overcome the Evil one. Christ's righteousness, His Blood, and His Word can do no less; while purifying us, they simultaneously equip us with enough purity to power wash away the filth of the Enemy. No wonder he hates it! No wonder we find ourselves constantly bombarded with a thousand creative ways to crush the purity burning brightly within us. Almost every sin--even the non-sexual kind--can be traced back to a lack of purity, because genuine purity extends to every area of life: thoughts, motives, and actions.

Thankfully, purity is attainable. Washing our robes to make them white in the Blood of the Lamb is a simple process, and it need not take more than a few seconds (Rev. 7:14). And it is a battle; for some, it is a very hard battle. But why would something be so hard to have if it were not truly worth having? The Enemy doesn't let us have purity without a fight because he knows that if we have it, his doom is near. But since we have Jesus on our side, his doom is on its way anyway.

Never underestimate the power of purity.

No comments: