Friday, May 24, 2013

Someone knows us

Have you ever had a moment when you're sitting in contented silence with a friend who is working, and just when you're thinking about saying something, he or she turns to you and says, "What?"

What?!?

How did she know? I mean, my own brain had barely even decided to say anything, so how could she tell? Perhaps I inhaled. Perhaps my lips made a slight popping sound as they parted. If I did either of these things, I had no knowledge of it. Perhaps she just knew.

And the funny thing is, this happened twice in one sitting.

Let me tell you, it was uncanny!

But it was the best kind of uncanny ever.

The next day, this same friend was getting ready for an event. A bunch of friends and I were gathered around to provide female support as she prepared. She donned a pair of black boots and looked around for opinions.

"They look good." Friend number one said.

"They look good." Friend number two said.

"They look good." Friend number three said.

I was silent. Honestly, I wasn't sure I liked them. I love black boots, but in this case I thought brown boots might look a little less stark. But I really don't consider myself a fashion expert, and friends rarely seek my advice probably for this very reason. Besides, everyone else who knew better thought the black boots looked splendid, so why should I disagree? What did I know?

So I kept silent. There were enough voices chattering away that I thought my silence would go unnoticed.

But I was wrong.

"Kayla, you haven't said anything," the black-booted friend pointed out. "What do you think?"

What?!? A friend is actually asking me for fashion advice? I was touched that somebody actually cared about my opinion.

Still, I was silent. I just looked at her, and I looked at the boots. I didn't say a word.

"She's not sure she likes them," my friend interpreted. "She thinks the brown boots would be better. I want to try those on."

Off went the black boots. On went the brown.

"Oh, those look really good." Friend number one said.

"Those look really good." Friend number two said.

"Those look really good." Friend number three said.

I nodded, satisfied. "Yes, I like them."

And with a delicious shock, I realized that this friend can now hear me without my saying a word. What's more, she wanted to hear me. Rarely has such an uncanny experience also made me feel so loved.

But then I realized--doesn't the Holy Spirit know us even better? Doesn't He listen to the silent yearnings of our heart every day? Doesn't He long for us to tell Him what we're thinking and feeling? Doesn't He know us better than we know ourselves?

It might be uncanny, but it should also remind us that we are indeed loved.

"There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." Proverbs 18:24

No comments: