Friday, May 24, 2013

Spiritual gifts illustrated

I'm amused by the fact that our personalities are not the only motivational factor in our behavior. Spiritual gifts really do have an effect. Now, I'm not going to take the time to explain the personality-type system I use or the spiritual gift system. But I'll tell you that one spiritual gift is Mercy, which basically just wants everybody to be happy and tends to feel for and sympathize with others. Another spiritual gift is Prophet, which is a gift that clearly sees right and wrong in black and white terms and often has no problem saying so.

Classic illustration:

Carlee is a Prophet. She has a lot of Melancholic personality like I do, but she is certainly a prophet.

I am a Mercy.

Mariah, who has a personality quite different from what Carlee and I have, is also a Mercy.

The three of us are sitting in the cold, pitchy church building in the middle of winter. We've just finished playing a game of Sardines in the dark, and we're enjoying the silence, the silvery light gently pouring through the window, and each other's company. Carlee then tells us how creepy it was going up the church stairs in the inky blackness. It was quite scary, and it made her think of demons.

"Awwww," Mariah and I chime in sympathetic unison.

"I don't want your pity," Carlee informs us, "I just want you to tell me how stupid I was."

Spiritual gifts do exist, and this story is classic proof.

No comments: