Saturday, April 13, 2019

How do we find and reflect abundant Life?

"'Two men went up to the Temple to pray, one a Parush and the other a tax-collector. The Parush stood and prayed to himself, "O God! I thank you that I am not like the rest of humanity--greedy, dishonest, immoral, or like this tax-collector! I fast twice a week, I pay tithes on my entire income, . . ."

"'But the tax-collector, standing far off, would not even raise his eyes toward heaven, but beat his breast and said, "God! Have mercy on me, sinner that I am!"


"'I tell you, this man went down to his home right with God rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but everyone who humbles himself will be exalted.'" -Jesus (Luke 18:10-14)


There are many ways to exalt oneself and many bad ways to humble oneself that are really exalting. I used to think that if I beat myself up and said I was nothing, then I was humble.

But that was really the most insidious kind of pride.


Pride is not debasing oneself. Pride is putting the focus on ourselves in comparison to others instead of focusing on God. Everything else falls into place when we orient ourselves with Him.


It is so easy to point fingers at others and how wrong they are (or how much "better" they are!), but it is far better to look at Jesus and see, without Him, how unworthy we are. His grace is the pillow upon which the humbled fall, and with His grace comes Life. (James 4:6-12)


Jesus, help me to always throw myself on Your mercy. Protect me from the sins of pride and comparison. You alone are holy. You are the Giver of Life that courses through my veins. Let my thoughts, words, and actions reflect You and Your Life. 

No comments: