Sunday, February 11, 2007

Doubles volleyball rocks! (if Shawn is on your team:)

Volleyball was interesting last night. For one thing, hardly anyone came.
Perhaps everyone was just tired out from skating, or maybe they felt
loaded with assignments or just wanted to stay in their room and read.
Who knows?

Well, it started out with Shawn, Bria, Kate, and me against Diane, Clyde,
and Josh. After a couple games, it was Shawn, Kate, and me against Diane,
Bria, and Josh. And then finally we were down to just Shawn and me
against Diane and Bria. Now I don't think I had ever played doubles
before, and if you haven't, then you should, at least if you have someone
like Shawn on your team. And I think it worked pretty well to have two
quite good players like Diane and Bria against a really good player like
Shawn and and a not so good player like me. Basically Shawn hit it, I set
it, he spiked it, over and over again, with some variations in between
(like I did spike it once). It was sweet! Did you bump it a little too
far back? No problem, Shawn was there. Did you set it a little too far to
the side? Pshaw, it didn't matter, Shawn could cover it. In fact I think
Shawn was better at covering most all of the court than Bria and Diane
were together, even though that duo had some excellent hustles, and they
played quite well. One time the ball came over the net and I went to bump
it, but I was backing up too rapidly and just as I hit it, I slid and
collapsed to the floor. I was quite convinced that I had botched it, but
when I scrambled up, I discovered the ball was magically on the other
side! Somehow, Shawn had done it again.

But in Shawn's defense, he shouldn't be mistaken for being inhuman. After
all, there was a time or two when I made a perfectly good set and he
missed it, which is actually a relief because if everyone was a perfect
volleyball player, then how would God still be able to better us?

Anyway, I've decided that playing doubles can be fun, and it's also fun
(although it's not why) when you win both games as well.:)

4 comments:

drewey fern said...

Yay for you getting to play doubles with Shawn! What fun. And great job describing Shawn's sweet skills:) Don't forget, though, that he couldn't have done it w/o a setter!

KJ said...

Hurray for you! I love playing doubles with Shawn... he makes me feel like such a great player because he's able to make such horrible passes from me look so good as he smashes it onto the other side! :) Glad you had fun!

z said...

fu

brilynne said...

Yay for doubles! 'Twas indeed great fun and excellent exercise.

I'm flattered by your description of my skills!