Monday, June 18, 2007

Got rear view mirrors?

Recently Claire wrote about people's need to use their blinkers when they're driving. I wholly agree with that, and of course that can be a whole different subject in itself. However, today I was shocked to discover that some people don't seem to use their rear view mirrors!

Here's my example: I drove my mom around town quite a bit today, getting good but fairly relaxing experience. We were at the bank, and I was about to back up. I checked my rear view mirrors and had just barely started to back up at a cautious speed when I noticed the brake lights of a car behind me. Hesitating, I wondered if he saw me, but since I was already part way out and he hadn't even moved, I figured he was waiting for me and I better finish backing up a little more quickly to get out of his way. Therefore I continued, but then my mom and I noticed that the other car was backing up too! I stopped, and to our horror they just kept coming closer and closer (not even inching!) as if we didn't exist. I was convinced that I was going to experience my first collision. Terror gripped me in that infinite moment.

"Horn!" my mom cried (this all was happening quite quickly you see). In a panic I fumbled for the horn and gave it two good solid beeps. The person rolled back a little more, stopped, and then turned and left without giving the time of day.

Shaken, I turned out of the parking lot, "That's why we pray for protection," I told my mom.

But still, it was apparent that that person wasn't even looking! It's scary when you realize that there are people that do that--backing up without looking, as if they owned the parking lot. It just makes me want to say, "C'mon, buddy, don't you know how to use your rear view mirrors?"

To think they give licenses to people like that. . . . (shudder)

1 comment:

Claire said...

Preach it, sistah!