Wednesday, August 15, 2007

An eyeball accident not for the squeamish

The other night I did something very stupid. I usually wash my hands before I take out my contacts (I guess some people don't but I do), and as I was doing this I guess I wasn't paying attention to my thoroughness of rinsing. So, just like any other night, I poked my finger into my eye to fish out that precious contact. Oddly enough, it didn't come out right away, and instead searing pain burned it's way into my eye. It was even worse than the time I tried to take out my contacts and rubbed my finger on my eyeball only to discover that I was supposed to be putting them in! No, this was more lasting. This stung to the core.

Confused, I looked down at my index finger and discovered soap bubbles. Yeeooooowww!!!!! I had just rubbed diluted soap along my eye! Somehow I managed to take out my contacts as my right eye got more red and the unavoidable tears arrived. I just wanted to sit in agony to wait for the pain to pass. It ebbed some, but I still had an irritation every time I blinked. It was as if I had an eyelash in my eye but whenever I looked there was nothing there. Thus were the after-effects of getting soap in my eye. There wasn't anything I could do, so I went to bed.

The next morning my eye was better. Or was it? My eye was sealed shut. I went to the mirror and saw the "sleepy sand" gobbed up at the corner of my right eye. Also my eye wouldn't open. But gradually, as I exercised my powerful eyelid muscles my eye slowly opened, stretching the goo around it like taffy. Yay. My eye was still red and a little swollen, but it was better. Still I had my work cut out for me to dig the gunk out of my eye. The happy part is that I did and am now better. The end.

No comments: