Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Miracle Purse

My mom brought me home a purse the other day. She picked it up at the PRC (which stands for Pregnancy Resource Center, and it's an organization my mom volunteers at), and since they were just going to get rid of it, she snatched it for me in case I wanted it. I was a bit unsure as I looked at it. It's red, with brown leathery handstraps. I don't have anything against red, but I know there are at least four other colors above it in my favorites list. Besides, I actually have two purses that I like quite a bit: a purple one that I picked up at Good Will in Florida, and a colorful striped one that Diane R. gave me. So I was a bit skeptical as I took the purse, although I was grateful that my mom thought of picking it up for me, and I still liked the purse even if I don't really need it. Supposedly it was brand new, though I don't know where it came from, and opening it up I saw some white tissue paper inside for stuffing, plus something else. . . . .

"Why is there a twenty-dollar bill in here?" I asked my mom. She didn't know, but we promptly took it out and she put it in an envelope to return to the Care Net (or PRC). I wondered a little bit at how it almost seemed divinely appointed that there should be a twenty-dollar bill that I certainly could use with my trip coming up. . . but I never really questioned that it should definitely go back to where it came from, that is to a good Christian organization that I'm sure could always use the money. So I let the event pass from my mind, with only a little wonderment.

Yesterday after my mom got back from her volunteering, she said to me at the dinner table, "Oh, I have a nice surprise for you." I honestly had no idea what it was. Did she buy me the environmentally shampoo I had been thinking about getting so I can wash my hair in the lake? Was it candy? Were my reprints in early at Ritz? Or what? I sat in suspense as she went over and fumbled in her purse for what seemed like ages. She came back and handed me something. You guessed it. The twenty dollars. Then she explained that her "boss" had said that we could keep the money, because as far as she knew it wasn't given to the PRC, and if we hadn't taken the purse it would have gone to Planet Aid and whoever would have received it would have gotten to keep the money, so why shouldn't we? My mom didn't argue.

That was a pleasant surprise indeed!

So remind yourself next time you open a new purse or wallet to make sure there isn't any money in it! Maybe God put it there for you.

I'm thinking that just maybe I'll keep the purse now. :)

3 comments:

Cara said...

Yay! I love finding money in places I didn't expect it. Did it make you like the purse more? :)

Aaron said...

It's always a wonderful feeling to find money you didn't know you had. I wish it happened to me more often!

lis said...

Awesome story!