Friday, January 05, 2007

#24 on the wall

We just got back from Calvary Christian School, where they were retiring
Andrew's jersey. Although I don't feel like writing a lengthy report, I
just thought it would be nice to have at least one person post about it
for those who weren't there (though there were several other bloggers
present, so I don't know if I'll be the only one). In case you hadn't
heard about it, Andrew Murray's old school decided to retire his jersey
in memory of him, and they chose to do it during the half time of one of
their basketball games. No offense to them, but I hope their school isn't
measured by how their current team plays basketball--otherwise they'd be
dunked (*a dry haha*).

But really, the ceremony itself was excellent. The principle spoke (or at
least I think that was who it was), heartily commending Andrew for his
serious devotion to the Lord, and he also read several quotes from Uncle
Dave's book that gave an idea about Andrew's character. They had a slide
show, and Uncle Dave spoke, reading a poem about how a pebble dropped in
a stream may be forgotten, but the ripples go on and on and may finally
disturb a mighty river. And Andrew dropped pebbles for Christ. Andrew's
old coach also gave a stirring talk about his positive impressions and
appreciation for Andrew and his willingness to do what needed to be done.
They had people stand who were his classmates, his teammates, his
coaches, his teachers, and his family friends. Andrew's teammates also
came up front and presented a banner for the gym to Uncle Dave and Aunt
Pat, along with the object of high honors: the framed, blue #24 jersey
itself. The audience was very supportive, with plenty of applause, and I
don't know how many dry eyes there were. Maybe many. Maybe none.

And through it all, I believe God was magnified.

3 comments:

Mrs. RF said...

Thanks for the report! I was wondering how the time went. Such a nice them for them to do.

Claire said...

Thanks, Kayla! Wish I could have been there, so it was nice to hear about it from one who was there.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for passing this on...I, too, wished I could be there.