Monday, January 01, 2007

When I flushed the winning number

A couple weeks ago, I dropped my ticket in the toilet. I was at a Conval basketball game, and the tickets they sold to get in were also raffle tickets. And there was mine, floating upside down in the toilet. I vaguely wondered if I should fish it out, but that idea was absurd. Besides, even as I watched, it started to shrivel up with moisture. So I flushed it. The lady who sold me the ticket would surely remember me and not bother with me showing it, so of course there was no need for me to keep it. Right?

It only occurred to me later that maybe my ticket would be the winning one.

And when they read the blue ticket number, no one came forward. They drew another one, but I couldn't help thinking that that could have been me.

I'm not sure what they would have thought though if I had produced a wet ticket anyway.

2 comments:

Aaron said...

I hope the prize wasn't very big...

Kayla said...

um, to be honest, i was hoping not to be picked anyway. it was actually a brady shoot out thing that I didn't really understand. so losing my ticket was probably providential!