Saturday, June 18, 2005

Leaping lice

Yesterday a beautiful day turned dark. The deep clouds from the underworld blocked the view of the sun and everything was tinted a gloomy gray. Very soon it started to rain. At least we thought it was rain at first. "It's hailing!" Clyde ejaculated, and he ran out to reel in his bike. I went out onto the porch to examine the falling material more closely, and yes, it was indeed hail! It was pelting down at a furious rate, as if some giants from heaven were bombarding us with their white bullet machine guns. After rescuing my bike from the torrent of pea-sized ice balls, I watched in fascination from the porch as the hail quickly accumulated on our walkway. It reminded me of a picture I had developed a few years ago when watching hail from the Hansen's front window and thinking it looked like leaping lice on the ground milling about in confusion. Ugh, what a picture. . . and I don't even know what lice looks like!

2 comments:

Kate said...

leaping lice isn't a bad description at all! I can see it now quite vividly.

See you soooooooooon!!!1

Anonymous said...

beautiful kayla, just beautiful.