Sunday, June 19, 2005

Various happy happenings

Last night we went to Chad's play: the one and only Music Man. He was playing a lead role (Marcellus to be precise--I pity those who don't know who that is) and naturally I was very excited. I invited Jane and Diane to come with my family since Brandon and Mary were gone and we thought they deserved a fun break. My happiness was complete when I discovered the Cousins (if you don't know who they are, they're the E. Sandford kids) there also, in all their dirty tan glory.:D

The play was pretty good, but I've seen the movie so many time I know the dialogue pretty well and if they talk in a way that's not a bit alike to the movie, it feels quite odd (sorry that was kind of boring but it's quite true). Chad did a really good job on his solo song, Shipoopee, (yeah right, talk about bizarre) and sang really high. The only problem was that the mic. didn't seem to pick him up very well during then so we couldn't hear him satisfactorily.

I felt really bad for the quartet in the play. I had heard that they had had a really hard time finding people to sing in that role with its tricky parts. So apparently they just got who they could. Oh dear. Some of them weren't too bad, but the er, soprano (what else am I to call him?) didn't always sing his part accurately and he looked rather uncomfortable. They didn't always sing quite on key also, but to give them credit, they were singing acapella.

Afterwards all of us gathered in a cluster near Chad, and the lady who acted Mrs. Shinn came around the corner. She gave us a rosy grin and said, "So this is the Marcellus fan club, huh?" and laughed boisterously. We thought it was pretty funny. And even as we left to go out the door she declared, "There goes the Marcellus fan club!" We laughed and continued out into the damp night.

We didn't get home until ten minutes of midnight. When we did, I found a postcard waiting for me. It said in bold letters at the top: "A CHANCE OF A LIFE TIME; YOU COULD BE NEXT!" It turned out that it was an offer to compete in the Miss Newhampshire Teen USA Pageant. Good grief, how did these people get my name and know I was the right age? Maybe they send it to every single girl and hope she's the right age. It is a bit strange however. Don't worry, I don't think I'm going to try out to be Miss Newhampshire. It's not really my thing.:-)

Ooh, that was weird. I just looked down and saw a little green bug crawling on my arm. I slapped him repeatedly in hopes to end his miserable little life but he refused to die! Craig generously got me a tissue at my request and I squeezed him until I felt the relinquishing crush. haha (sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Anyway--ahem! Today Jane, Diane, and I played our songs that we prepared last week and it went really well. By the way, sorry I didn't finish my story of our last Sunday's experience; Mr. Hansen did feel badly and I didn't want it to seem I was leaving that part out just to knock him.

After Sundayschool we swang our way right into the potluck. Which reminds me. . . have you heard of the church that was so religious about not believing in luck that they called them potblessings? haha Well this potluck was adorned with salad of almost every kind, as well as the usual scrumptious desserts.

Awhile after we had stuffed our bellies to the limit, we went on to the good old softball. The grass was wicked slippery, the bugs were just a bit annoying, but the playing was great. I didn't do anything too fabulous though, except hit the ball, run, and stop a grounder. Others had awesome plays though from sweet catches to eye-squinting triples. No home runs on this game.:( But we ended with plenty of good will and my team winning. I love that combination.:D

2 comments:

Aaron said...

I know what you mean about how the least differentiation from the enunciations in the movie felt odd. I completely agree. About "Mrs. Shinn": boisterous is the right word. We laughed all the way to the car! She was more "Mrs. Shinn" out of the play than in! By the way, I have a CLEAN tan NOT a DIRTY one! [in case all you readers don't realize, I'm one of the cousins. :-D ]

wideyed said...

I still have not seen "The Music Man"...YES! You think I am suffering from malnutrition...wait till you hear that I didn't watch "The Wizard of OZ" until last year...

:>)