Monday, June 13, 2005

"A little lass named Olga"

I own a troll. How many people own something like that? I am indeed very lucky. I had seen her when I was in Norway at various shops, and when we went to the Arctic Circle, I actually considered buying her. But she cost about 115 kroner (which equals roughly $18 dollars for you ignorant ones), and I didn't buy her. Then I saw her again at Geiranger, this time for 65 kroner (about $10), and I bit the hook.

Some would call her ugly, but I don't think so. I think she is actually quite cute. She has wild black hair that flies every which way, and bright eyes. She's crouched on two wooden skies, and a long nose and impish grin adorn her face. That is my troll.

Although I staunchly tried to name her Glinda, I have the distinct desire to call her Olga. Why would I want to call her by a name that I have never liked? The answer is quite simple: Dave Hansen. That's not simple? Well I shall explain.

Before we embarked upon our trip for Norway, Clyde asked Dave if there was anything that he wanted him to bring back for him. His only response was to bring him back "a little lass named Olga." He had no idea what kind of effect those words would have on our family. When Clyde told us the story, we thought it was all a great joke (especially since Olga isn't even a Norwegian name:), but then we began to look around us. Frequently we would see a native girl or a doll and wonder if that could be Olga. Could it be the one for Dave? We weren't really sure. In any case, we christened our faithful Toyota Caravelle "Blue Olga" just in case.

It was me that first came up with the theory that perhaps Olga could be a troll. I found one in the Trondheim mall and pointed her out to Clyde. Evil imaginings were provoked into action. The next day was our trip to the Arctic Circle, and there Clyde purchased Dave's bonnie lass: a wrinkled little lady, oblivious to her ugliness and admiring her mushrooms. The perfect match.

So that's my explanation. Who wouldn't feel compelled to name their troll Olga after a history such as this? I only hope Dave never reads this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol! that's great! I definatly would name my troll Olga after that! lol!

brilynne said...

I am amused.