Saturday, June 11, 2005

My incredible occurences

So now I shall describe my life. To do so would be an utter impossibility. Interesting things aren't always popping my way all the time, I'm afraid. So until I come up with fascinating stories about my children, or wait till when my sister breaks her wrist, or rescue my mom's glasses from whirling down the depths of a toilet, or until my skirt gets caught in my bike, or I have an annoying dentist appointment, or I cry "You shall not pass!" to my cat, or I attend a CPR class, or I get angry at some anti-Bush madman, etc, etc, etc, I'll have to content myself with doodling along until something incredible happens to me. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long.

Yesterday was quite a day. It was extremely hot and sticky. I did my Friday cleaning with as much vigor as I could muster in the weather. I cleaned the kids' bathroom, cleaned my room, and vacuumed upstairs, downstairs, and THE stairs. Vacuuming is quite warm work. It can even be a work out, depending on how heavy the vacuum is. Who knows, maybe it'll be the next Olympic sport--it's recreational, and productive!

Anyway, about my day. When I was done, I hopped on my bike and went down to the ball field to go running. Ouch. I came back with nearly every inch of me bathed in perspiration. I was very much relieved when not long afterward my mom took me down to the lake for a dip. I'll tell ya, it was
freezing! I was determined to get wet though, so I plunged bravely onward into the lakes cool depths. One dunk and I was definitely cooled down.:-) After a little while longer the lake actually began to feel quite nice.

That evening mom, Craig, and I left for my violin class in Peterborough. We got there, and the hall was very hot. Two huge fans bellowing out windstorms barely helped. There were the four other pupils of my teacher, all a good bit younger than me (perhaps two 7-year-olds, a 10 year-old, and a 11 year-old), and mostly in the Twinkle, Go tell Aunt Rhody stage. The rest of the people mostly included a few doting family members.


One annoying thing was that there was an older sister, about my age or a little older, that for the world of me reminded me of Katie Griffith. That's not the annoying thing. The annoying thing was that I felt like she kept staring at me. I can't stand being stared at by total strangers. It's one thing if they're little kids, but an older one really should know better. I did end up feeling kind of bad for her though because she was playing Go Tell Aunt Rhody with her sister on the piano and she messed up as she tried to start. Then she purposefully made up for it later by pounding out some amazing piece after the recital was over, I'm sure just to show that she could play.


I played my song with mom near the beginning, and I was glad to get it over with because it was the one I had to play from memory. Sure, the song was only from Suzuki book 2, but I was a bit worried about different counting and technique stuff that I was supposed to do. Later I played In Dreams with my teacher, Diana, and Craig (who was on the piano), then Ashokan Farewell, which is a beautiful, sad piece by Jay Ungar. Besides that I was pretty much either playing accompianment for students or just watching them play. Afterwards we stood around munching brownies or deliciously cool watermelon that different families had brought. I chatted some with a grandmother of one of the cute little girls (Ursula by name), and she poured oddly sincere flattery on me about my playing which made me feel warm and fuzzy.


With the class behind me, we drove on to stop for some of the Trinity graduation. Jess Mosher was graduatiing, as well as Dave H.'s postulate brother, and Mary Cramb (who few of you know, but she's a great Scotland fan and was graduating as valedictorian of her six person class).


With this all said and done, we went home to have a slightly belated Sabbath meeting. The evening was rounded out by rhubarb pie and Andy Griffith. Two very adequate complements I ass
ure you.:-)

2 comments:

Cara said...

hurray! my favorite part of the post was the first paragraph. i was thinking that it sounded like stuff i'd read somewhere before, then i caught on. :D

Anonymous said...

Very clever, Kayla! Who says your life is boring??

Besides, I think a good writer can make anything absolutely fascinating. :o)
Lisa